Aloha and welcome to the Native Hawaiian Health Scholarship Program (NHHSP)! We are a Federally funded, all inclusive, service-oriented scholarship program for scholars of Native Hawaiian descent and are being educated in the health care field.
We provide funding for scholars pursuing degrees in the following fields and specialties:
- Clinical Psychology (PhD or PsyD)
- Dental Medicine (DDM or DDS)
- Dental Hygiene (ASDH or BSDH)
- Dietetics (BSDD or MSDD)
- Marriage Family Therapist (MFT)
- Nursing (ADN, BSN or MSN)
- Optometry (OD)
- Pharmacy (PharmD)
- Physician Assistant (BSPA or MSPA)
- Public Health (MPH)
- Social Work (MSW)
* Disciplines covered here are subject to revisions
The NHHSP scholarship provides: full tuition, a monthly stipend, and other related school costs (books, lab materials, etc) as defined by your college. In return for such support and upon graduation and/or following required residencies or post-grad training, you will be required to be licensed in your profession in the State of Hawai`i and preform a (paid) employment/service obligation (minimum of two years) in a medically underserved area within the State of Hawai`i. As a rule of thumb: Service Obligation = one year of service for each year of funding with a minimum of two years.
To qualify for our scholarship, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be of Native Hawaiian ancestry (verified by birth certificate).
- You must be a full-time student enrolled in an accredited institution.
- You must be pursuing one of the eligible professions listed above.
- You must be willing to relocate anywhere within the state of Hawai`i to fulfill your service obligation.
Our program begins accepting applications for funding for the 2009-2010 academic year beginning in January 15, 2009. The deadline to apply is April 25, 2009. The application process has 3 primary parts. You must complete the online application, complete and mail in the supplementary documents, and undergo an interview with staff.
Mahalo for considering the Native Hawaiian Health Scholarship, and if you have any other questions, feel free to contact us!